Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Micro Lesson #1 Reflection


  1. Instructional Decisions/Teaching (InTask Standard # 9): Discuss the implementation process and describe.
    • What went well and what didn't go well during the implementation of your lesson?
      • During this lesson I feel like the things that went really well included: mastering the objective, teaching the stages of a butterfly, showing the time-lapse video, and playing the game of memory in groups of two. Based upon the assessment at the end of my lesson each of my students mastered the objective with 100%. The activities of teaching the life cycle, watching a time-lapse video, and playing memory were all very successful because they kept the students engaged and eager to learn more. The things that didn’t go well were the read aloud and I ran short on time. I feel like the read aloud did not go as well as it could have because since it was an online read aloud I was not able to engage the students by asking them questions throughout the story. I ran a little short on time simple because my students were not actual 2nd graders. If I was actually teaching the lesson to 2nd graders it would have ran longer because the students would have taken longer to answer questions and complete the given activities.
    • How well was the alignment to objectives and standards maintained?
      • The standards and objectives were very clear throughout the entire lesson. The assessment given at the end of the lesson measured the skills outlined in both the standard and objectives perfectly.
    • Describe any modifications made during the implementation of the lesson.
      • The only modification I made throughout the implementation of this lesson was just passing around the images of the butterfly life cycle because I did not have easy access to a doc camera. 
  2. Mechanics:
    • What technologies did I use (for the teacher and the learner)?
      • Both the teacher and the students used their computers during this lesson.
    • How were the technologies used (by whom and in what manner)?
      • The teacher used the computer to show the read aloud video of the book as well as the video of the time-lapse of a butterfly’s life cycle. The student’s used the computer to access an online game where you put the stages of the butterfly’s life cycle in order.
    • My lesson was within the correct time frame?
      • My lesson was about 30 seconds to a minute short simply because my lesson plan was designed for 2nd graders who would have needed more think time during the activities.
  3. Assessment of Learning (InTask Standard # 6): Refer to Assessing Student Learning; attached in Blog Phase I
    • Include at least 2 digital artifacts that demonstrate what you or your students (peers) have created as a result of your lesson.
      • JT Slade



      • Tori Nelson 




    • Describe your students' level of success in achieving the standards and objectives for your lesson based on your assessment.
      • Both of my students mastered the skill of knowing the life cycle of a butterfly and being able to illustrate each stage. They both received full points on their rubric and participated fully in all of the activities.
    • Describe the level of success you had in teaching the lesson
      • How do your individual reflections support this?
        1. I feel like my lesson was very successful. However, I should have checked for understanding more often throughout the lesson instead of just assuming that they knew the information since they completed the given activity.
      • How do the comments from your classmates support this?
        1. The comments from my classmates support this because they gave me all 5s on my survey. The only comment left by one classmate was that I could have done more checks for understanding.
  4. What did you learn from designing and teaching this lesson and how will you use this in the creation of future lessons/learning activities.
    • I learned that when creating future lessons and learning activities I need to make sure and provide extension activities for those students who finish early. I also learned that I need to check for understanding even if I feel like all of the students are on track. For my next micro lesson I will make sure to incorporate higher level thinking activities to ensure that I take all of the allotted time. I also hope to incorporate more technology within my next micro lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment